Friday, July 22, 2011

More on original hives

With all this heat and dryness (not counting the yucky humidity), I wanted to make sure that my original two bee hives were doing well and having plenty to eat and drink. I headed out there today to fill the division feeders and put the beetle traps in place.

They were doing well and the bees were hanging around the outside of the hives trying to deal with the heat. It surprises me that I have so much in common with my bees.

I hope to get some photos the next time that I inspect the hives. It's been a while and I would like to have more photos.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Checking in on the new hive

Added the 2nd hive body today with the division board feeder. Those bees are growing in numbers and their disposition was good. They could have cared less about what I was up to because they were busy.

I'm pleased with their progress and it seems like the queen is doing well and laying eggs in a good pattern.

This hive is going to go to my friend's home in Medford in August. I'm really excited.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Update on New Queen

It's been a week since the hive was split and they both appear to be doing well. I was excited to see that the new queen had been released from the cage and the attendants cleaned out. On inspection, there appeared to be brood in various stages of development although I did not disturb it for too long - only long enough to give additional food.

Already thinking about getting all the hives prepared for winter.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Split

I have been thinking about it for a while but wasn't ready for my split in the spring. Now, I have a friend that has offered to let me put a hive in his yard in Medford. On Sunday, Mike Long of Uriah Creek Apiary, brought me a queen -- My first queen outside of my original hive delivery. I had to get ready to get her hived.

Went over to Nature's Rescue and split one of my hives -- took 4 frames of brood and shook off a 5th frame of bees into the new hive and placed the queen carefully between two of the frames. Then, closed up the hive (already had a screen in place) and brought the new hive over to the Lighthouse Center to beef up for several weeks.

Fed them a sugar solution from a bag feeder and am hoping that everything takes. I checked yesterday (Monday, 7/4) and there are bees flying in and out so I am hopeful.

Going out tomorrow morning to feed the original two hives and check on how they are doing. Also, going to check on the weight of my honey supers. I'm looking forward to my first taste of honey from my own hives. Now, all I have to do is figure out how I am going to extract it.